Frequently Asked Questions
- I am a student with a non-mathematics background. Can I apply for this programme?
Yes. We strongly encourage students with biology, engineering and physics backgrounds to apply for this programme if would like to work at the interface between your subject and mathematics.
- Is this programme different from the PhD Programme in Mathematics?
Yes, this is completely independent of the PhD Programme in Mathematics. The Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences PhD Programme enables students to work at the exciting interface between mathematics and biology/engineering/physics.
- On my application form, can I choose both Mathematics and Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences?
Yes. You have three possible choices and you can opt for both the programmes.
- I wish to know about the admission procedure for getting admitted to IISc and have some questions. What shall I do?
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section of IISc admissions site, it has all required details.
- I do not have GATE score, can I still apply to your PhD programs?
If your basic qualification is M.Tech., then you do not need to have GATE score for applying to the Ph.D. programs. Also, students who have a Bachelors’ degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTI) with a GPA of 8.5 or above (out of 10) do not need a GATE score. Check for all cases where the GATE is only desirable under eligibility of research programs of IISc.
- I am a B.Tech. Student, can I apply for this Ph.D. programs?
Yes. the eligibility conditions for a Ph.D. program are given here. (link)
- What is the GATE cutoff for your PhD programme?
It depends on the year of admissions. The GATE cutoff used in the previous years can be found here.
- The application deadline is March 24, but the GATE/CSIR-UGC-NET/JEST results will be announced later than March 24. What should I do?
You will have an option to update the national test (GATE/CSIR-UGC-NET/JEST) results after March 23. So please apply before March 23 and as soon as the national test (GATE/CSIR-UGC-NET/JEST) results are announced, log-in to the admission site to update the results. The exact deadlines for updating the national test results are here.
- I have some difficulty in filling in the on-line application (or) found that the application form is not allowing me to choose your programme despite satisfying the eligibility criteria. Whom should I contact?
Please contact Joint Registrar (Academic), Admissions Unit; contact details are here.
- When will you start accepting applications for the Ph.D. program? Is there a last date?
The details are here.